What is Special Education?
Special Education programs in our school exist to provide services to students who meet eligibility requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) under one of the thirteen disability categories allowed in the State of Idaho. All district schools are served by special education professionals and related service providers. Some services are contracted out with local providers. The District seeks to meet its obligations under the law to provide Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to all eligible students and to do this within the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). Services will be provided in a student’s school to the extent that this is appropriate.
Our mission is to provide all students who have unique educational needs an opportunity to develop skills that foster independence and to assist our students to reach their potential as productive individuals in society.
- To help students succeed.
- To support students, families, teachers and administrators.
- To develop support systems with general education.
- To represent the misrepresented.
- To provide direct instruction in fundamental skills.
- To provide in-class support where appropriate.
- To accelerate learning.
- To ensure the least restrictive environment.
- To function as a team making socially just decisions.